Today I’m sharing with you my favorite podcasts. I’m fairly new to the whole podcast world. I just got into listening to them earlier this year, but it’s a great way to pass the time while you’re driving! I’m sure there are a million other great ones out there that I have yet to discover, so please share with me your favorite(s) in the comments.
- What Should I Read Next? – This is my favorite! The host is Anne Bogel, who is also the creator of the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy and the very popular online book club by the same name. The podcast started a year and half ago with a simple format where one guest will share with Anne three books they love, one book they hate, and what they’re reading now. Then, based on their taste in books, Anne will do a little literary matchmaking and give the guest three book recommendations. Sometimes the guest’s tastes will align perfectly with what I like to read, and sometimes they don’t, but I always enjoy the conversations. Her guests are usually people who are in the book industry – publishers, authors, book store owners, librarians, book bloggers, and other bookish podcasters – so the conversations are always interesting to me. Episode 81 where she interviews Chelsea Humphrey, of the blog The Suspense is Thrilling Me, is a personal favorite. It was after listening to this episode that I decided to launch my own blog!
- Book Tour with John Grisham – John Grisham hasn’t done a book tour in 25 years, but this summer he’s heading out to 12 select book stores – mostly independent. If you’re lucky enough to be near one of the locations, great! If not, you can be a fly on the wall by listening to his podcast at each of the stops. Even if you’re not a fan of his books, at each stop, he teams up with another well-known author to talk about all things literary. So far his guests have been Jodi Picoult, Ann Patchett, and David Grann, and I hear Harlan Coben and Greg Iles are coming up as well. John Grisham is hilarious and these podcasts are so much fun!
- All the Books – This is a weekly podcast where the hosts, Liberty Hardy and Rebecca Schinsky, discuss and review all the newly released books for that week. It comes to you from bookriot.com which is a website dedicated to all things books and reading!
- The Smartest Person in the Room with Laura Tremaine – Episode #2 is where she interviews production designer, Ethan Tobman. He has worked on countless films including Room, and has worked with Madonna and Beyoncé, all of which he talks about in this podcast. I just found it to be a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at Hollywood. She does a whole Hollywood series where she interviews other writers, producers, film directors, and even a celebrity bodyguard.
- Making Oprah – This 3-episode podcast from WBEZ 91.5 in Chicago tells the behind-the-scenes story of the Oprah Show from it’s inception. It includes interviews with producers, staffers, the TV executive who discovered Oprah, and even Oprah herself. Even if you weren’t a huge fan of the show, it’s a fascinating look at the rise of the show.
Read or Dead – This is a brand new podcast from bookriot.com – only 3 episodes done as of mid-July. It is a podcast dedicated to the discussion of Mysteries and Thrillers (right up my alley!) and I feel like it has great potential. If you’ve always wondered what the difference between a mystery, suspense, and thriller is, episode #2 covers this topic wonderfully.